Saturday, March 25, 2017

Character Analysis (Kenaz)

Meet the star of my story, Kenaz!
Kenaz is a boy that was raised solely by his mom (the father died) in a small coastal town in the Caribbean. The community they live with is pretty tight, in the sense that it has been there since generations and they practice oral traditions and occasions that brings them close to their past. They lived a simple life. Kenaz is an adventurous boy, he is loved by everyone in town, even though he might get in trouble sometimes. Every month at the end of the month, the community gathers around a fire to honor the old legend of the moon and the sun (the one I previously wrote). Kenny was fascinated with this story when he was about 8 years old, and he would ask his mother all sorts of questions about it. His mother would tell him to get him to sleep. As time went by, Kenaz's mother kept growing sick. When he was about 14 he decided to take venture on this journey to find the island that would eventually help him to save his mother. This journey took him three years, so by the time he reached the island he was now 17 years old.So the story is basically about his transformative journey and the things he encounters along the way. The archetype of this character would be "the survivor" who never gives up and always pulls through, or "the hero"who does everything to fulfill a task.
In order to represent this character I wanted to use a little boy. Now this was a challenge. I needed someone who could be able to shoot at the beach and be available and attentive. I first tried with my friend's little brother but there were a lot of scheduling problems and it was just impossible with the time I had remaining. So I realized I would have to use someone older. And that is how I decided it would be better to open with the last scene of the story with the 17 year old Kenaz. I immediately knew who I wanted to use to play this role. My friend Cristobal Mendez. He fitted perfectly with my image of Kenaz, and I knew he would be willing to help me and shoot scenes at the beach.

Physical qualities:
-Tan skin
-brown eyes
-strong
-medium height

Personal qualities:
-Simple
-wise
-Adventurous

No comments:

Post a Comment