Sunday, March 12, 2017

GenreGenreGenreGenre

Magic realism....
Magic realism is a genre of narrative fiction that expresses elements of the real world while adding some magical or unreal elements. (Here is the extensive version). The juxtapositions of this two words are what makes it unique. This genre originated in many platforms of arts, and only recently in films. It is said that its roots come from Latin America, used by many poets like Borges and Garcia Lorca.
I think this genre will allow me to convey my message and have a part of me in it. This genre has close ties to my heritage to Latin America. Some of the greatest Hispanic authors have used this theme in their works. Works that i have read and studied in my old school in Venezuela. People like Garcia Marquez and Isabel Allende have written stories that shaped my childhood and represent my culture. I realized that I wanted to do something based off of that. My childhood. I want my inner-self to be represented in my work. I want that essence of innocence that we all used to have (the lucky ones still do). That essence that gets lost with time. That we forget. I want to play around with the feeling of nostalgia. with the ephemeral manner of memories, of our imagination. The vivid imagination a child has that lets him or her stand at the face of a problem and create their way out of it. I found this in my notebook from a couple of months ago. It has sort of always been on my mind. The idea of not wanting to grow up and lose that "magic."




"Elements of Magical Realism." Michelle Witte - Read. Write. Edit. MSWL, 10 Apr. 2017. Web.

No comments:

Post a Comment