Friday, March 10, 2017

In Search for Some INSPIRATION...

So, hello again!
Since my last post I have decided to do some research based on the films, directors, and authors I liked in order to find some common ground on what my story and techniques should be driven by. I had to give myself a limit in order to chose and relate the themes. I decided to pick 8 of my favorite films, 1 book, and 3 directors.  For the directors I chose Martin Scorsese, Ang Lee, and Damien Chazelle. I read their biography and the way each of them interpreted their work. I chose a quote from each one that encouraged me about my project, and i learned that there is more than one way to approach it. I then gathered some of my favorite films in order to find something that would guide me, and evidently i did. I realized that they followed a genre pattern. Each of these movies have some sort of fantasy touch in them. Whether directly or indirectly, but is there. The plots deal with real situations and problems shown through a fantastical lens. Even historical issues like the French Revolution in Les Mis or the Communist Party's tensions in Russia in The Concert are reverberated by the musical quality. The life of George Mellies is represented through the respective innocence of a child in Hugo. The Same Innocence is represented in Slumdog Millionaire to portray the hardships on the streets of India. Life of Pi and Midnight In Paris deal with the blurring lines between reality and fantasy. Same thing goes for the book i chose, The Little PrinceThe Little Prince is a children's book, but it also has many layers and interpretations. And it is all told through the perspective of this prince child. I feel that now I am one step closer. By organizing myself this way I was able to figure out the genre of my film... MAGIC REALISM!!! (meaning fantasy/drama).

Directors:
  • Martin Scorcece: "There is an essence to the project that you must protect. You cant make concessions on that. the story cannot be tampered with past that point; you have to fight off every power or force around you."
  • Damien Chazelle: When you're trying to paint a portrait of a very specific war;d, you're trying to show what makes the world different. So, sometimes it means exaggerating certain kind of aspects, but I don't think it's that important or it's that much of an issue as long as you get an emotional truth across."
  • Ang Lee: "Nothing stands still. That's important in my movies. People want to believe something, want to hang on to something to get security and want to trust each other. But things change. Given enough time, nothing stands still. I think seeking for security and lack of security is another thing in my movies."



    Book:
    By Antoine De Saint-Exupery


    Films:
    By Damien Chazelle
    (Musical, Romance, fantasy)

    By Ang Lee
    (Drama, fantasy, adventure)
    By Radu Mihaileanu
    (Musical, drama, comedy)

    By Martin Scorsese
    (fantasy, historical drama)
    By Nicholas Ray
    (Drama)
    By Danny Boyle
    (drama)
    By Woody Allen
    (fantasy, romance, drama)
    By Tom Hooper
    (musical, historical drama)







    "Ang Lee." Biography.com. A&E Networks Television, 02 Apr. 2014. Web. 
    "Damien Chazelle." IMDb. IMDb.com, n.d. Web. 
    "Kurtvonnegut." Kurtvonnegut. The Kurt Vonnegut Llc, n.d. Web. 
    "Martin Scorsese Quotes (Author of Scorsese on Scorsese)." Martin Scorsese Quotes (Author of Scorsese on Scorsese). Goodreads Inc, n.d. Web. 
    Moore, Lindsay. "Magical Realism." Postcolonial Studies. N.p., July 2012. Web. 
    SAint-Exuperie, Antoine. "The Little Prince » The Story." The Little Prince » The Story. Little Prince, n.d. Web.



                    

    No comments:

    Post a Comment